Wednesday, February 19, 2014

My Favorites (Music)

To help get the ball rolling, I figured that I would list out some of my favorite musical artists. It is pretty difficult to rank favorites but I have been certain for sometime now that my two favorite bands are Nirvana and System Of A Down. I can remember the first time I ever listened to Smells Like Teen Spirit. Up until that point, I wasn't really a big music lover and was just content with whatever was popular or on the radio. As soon as I heard that song, however, my entire perception was changed. I suddenly looked at music not as an entertainment platform, but a serious artistic one as well. I soon had almost every release Nirvana had ever put out and started actively going out of my way to look for new music. A few years later, I discovered System Of A Down. Ironically, the first time I listened to them, I couldn't stand them. The lead singer's ridiculous voice and the cacophonous guitars just sounded like noise. This was the song "Attack," off of their album "Hypnotize." I gave it some time and eventually found Chop Suey! and Sugar on Youtube. Both of these songs, especially Sugar, were far more to my liking and I gave them another go. Like Nirvana before, I soon had every single System song I could get my hands on. Eagerly awaiting a new album from them, I pull out the collection every time and again to tide me over. I will definitely go in depth more about these bands and their albums in the future but I just wanted to get the basics out there now. A few of my favorite other bands are the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, The Black Dahlia Murder, Biggie Smalls, 2Pac, Rage Against The Machine, Sublime, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, and The Pixies. In reality, I like pretty much every genre of music, yet am very picky about bands within those genres. Generally speaking, my favorite genre is rock, along with all the sub genres that accompany it. I will post album reviews every so often but would also love to get suggestions on new bands or songs that I should listen to!

No comments:

Post a Comment